Shrubs! We first fell in love with shrubs on a trip to Portland, Oregon when we hit up the coffeeshop Barista and they had an amazing Fig Shrub based Espresso drink with some other magic mixed in. It was absolutely amazing and when when we got home we started making these easy and tasty drink mixers. We like them in bourbon, gin, seltzer, and more!
This is our Cinnamon Fig Shrub that we recently made after being asked by our friends Thomasin and Alex to make a drink mixer for their upcoming wedding. They wanted something that people could take away as a gift and that would be a nice mixer....so Cinnamon Fig Shrub it was! We love this delightful fall mixer and we think you will too! Note: if you save all those ends and tips you can use them to make a nice Fruit Scrap Vinegar which is what we did!
Cinnamon Fig Shrub
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Cinnamon Stick (optional)
- Add equal parts of sugar and water to a saucepan, and heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add figs and simmer until the fruit's juice blends well into the syrup.
- Let it rest till it cools
- Add vinegar to the syrup in a large (ideally glass) container
- Cover with a lid or airlock and let ferment for 5-10 days
- Filter your shrub through a strainer and enjoy!