- 2/3 cup unfed starter from the refrigerator
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter or olive oil, but I prefer coconut oil for the flavor and aroma)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- olive oil for topping
- extra coarse salt for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine starter and coconut oil in a glass bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Add dry ingredients to bowl with wet ingredients. Combine. If necessary, knead the dough a few times to incorporate the last bit of flour. Cover bowl with a plate or towel and let rest overnight or for at least eight hours to develop flavor.
4. After the dough has rested for 8 hours, divide it into two halves on a generously floured surface.
5. Roll the dough out two to three millimeters thick. Sprinkle with flour between rollings to prevent dough from sticking to surface.
6. Transfer the dough to Silpat-lined cookie sheets or lightly greased cookie sheets. Using a pastry brush, brush sheet of dough with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
7. Cut into rectangles with a pizza cutter. Do cut with sharp objects if using a Silpat.
8. Bake for 8 minutes, turn trays and bake 8 minutes longer. Crackers are done when crispy and slightly browned.
9. Transfer crackers to a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.